HISTORY OF THE CASTLE MUZELLE

Bourg d'Arud chateau is a manor house that was built in the Seventeenth century by Maître Jacques ROCHETTE, bourgeois born in the parish of VENOSC, pastoral of OISANS, province of Dauphiné, and whose will, written out in Bayonne, is dated May 12th 1689.
The gravestone, which before could be found on his tomb inside VENOSC church, is today mounted on a wall near the entrance, gives us the day on which he died, the 14th of April 1690.
The building thus dates from before this time.
Oral tradition teaches us that, in the absence of a route suitable for transportation, the Chateau was built of local materials.
Stone, wood and sand, but also tufa, due to calcium concentrations from sources like Lafrette wood, were abundant. Slaked lime was calcinated on wood fires in several places in the village. Thick, hand cut slabs of slate (in "lauze- roofing slate "), were brought from l'Enchatra or Draye near Pleynet. This all created great activity over several years.
The will, which we have a copy of, together with numerous gifts for the parents and close friends of the deceased, mentions foundations (donations for life) for the parish and the religious orders, aimed at helping those in need by distributing wheat, salt and clothing on dates determined by announcing masses given to rest the soul of the donator.
Dowries were to be awarded to young pauper girls to allow them to found a family.
Also figured on this will are sums of money allocated for the upkeep of VENOSC church, of Saint Sauveur de BOURG D'ARUD chapel, founded by the donator, without forgetting of the paths, walls, bridges and irrigation or feeding canals of the windmills. The hospitals of GRENOBLE also benefited from this legacy, the sum of which covers 30 pages of the will, calculated, at the time, in pounds.

Unfortunately, the degradation of the money and the abolition of the wealth of the church and its religious personnel have reduced almost to nothing the benefits that were to be continued indefinitely. The title of Knight of MOLIERE (squire) appears at the second generation, revealed by a coat of arms, the origins of which are known. There is, however, at BOURG D'OISANS, land named " LA MOLIERE ".
On the arms of the Dauphiné can be found : Joseph ROCHETTE de la Molière (noble), king's advisor, Maître à la chambre des comptes of GRENOBLE from 1711 on, Charles, Jacques, Louis, Auguste ROCHETTE de la Molière (probably son of the former) born in GRENOBLE in 1701, deceased in PARIS in 1785, literary hack and light seventeenth century writer, as evidenced by his book "angola ". He was a committed lampoonist who had quarrels with advisor TERRAY. In the salon of the Château de Bourg d'Arud, a chimney plaque includes a blazon in Louis XIV's arms, but it is impossible to tell if it dates from before or after 1690 or whether it was brought by the second generation dating from after 1690. The name of the family of de la Molière at the Chambre des Comptes goes up to 1770.

This family also disappears from the Parish of VENOSC, at this same date, by sale, by Maître de la Molière, of the Château de Bourg d'Arud domain to the GIRAUD families, whose descendants are the present owners.
At VENOSC church, above the reredos, many objects of worship perpetuate the memory of generous donators by their coats of arms engraved on chandeliers, ciboriums and silver plates.
We have no evidence of where this family's fortune may have come from.
Jacques ROCHETTE was one of the first great travellers in our memory who personified the spirit of adventure of the mountain people of VENOSC.
Many, in his wake, have travelled the length and breadth of France, founding commerce and giving Venoscan names way away from their original territory.

photographie de la porte sur le côté photographie des armoiries photographie du porche photographie du hall photographie du salon
photographie ancienne du château